Monday, April 03, 2006

Things that eat away at me...


"April 3"

My focus on aspen leaf miner moths has
taken a totally new turn in this series
of artworks. As I've mentioned, I was
invited to be one of the artists participating
in the 2006 Arctic Science Art exhibit and
symposium taking place alongside the
International Arctic Science Conference at
UAF. I was invited to create 6-8 works
releated to a subject of Northern Science....
My choice? Phyllocnistic populiella, aka
aspen leaf miners. The moth isn't what
interests me, it's the maze patterns their
larvae eat within the leaves of quaking aspen.
I am drawing these random, squiggly lines
constantly, thinking of the caterpillars
movements throughout the mesophyll,
it's random feeding, burrowing.

It leads me to think of my own seemingly
random movements....how I move around
my house, how I drive around the small town
I live in....the repetitive route to and from work...

Aren't we all making these random patterns in
our constant search for sustenance and comfort?

What aspect would I take on from each day's
efforts? How would my successes and failures
look when translated into this pattern of line?
Hence... Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

bugheart said...

how did you make that amazing portrait?

Eero said...

This portrait was a simple digital photo. Stuck it in photoshop, did a greyscale to it, erased all fluffy hair (and braids!) with the clone stamp, then used the paintbrush tool with a small setting and got zen with leaf miner mindset...
(Oh, somewhere in there I erased my wrinkles....hehe.)

Anonymous said...

WOW ELIZABETH...I FORGOT ABOUT YER LIL' GRUBBER HANDS...

AH THE MEMORIES....

AND I LOVE THE PHOTO WITH THE LEAF MINER EAT YER FACE OFF...BEAUTIFUL.

ALSO, I DIG THE STORY ABOUT YER JACKET IN LONDON AND THE COOL OLD SHOPKEEPER....I REALLY LOVE LONDON TOO....

MORE LATER... AND I WILL TRY TO SEND THE LETTER SOOOOOON..

JUANITO SALCHICHA

Lili Bo Nilly said...

I love this photo and those little leaf miner buggers!

bugheart said...

aren't johnny's comments
hysterical!
i want to say
johnny,
you are YELLING
please stop,
i am right next to you.
;)
i heart johnny.