Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Birch Bark Hats continued...


In my studio, working on the hats. I have grand visions of a perfectly organized and tidy studio, but since this would entail building perfectly organized and tidy shelves, I haven't managed it yet. I LOVE this room. I'm lucky to be able to spend about 4-6 hours a day in here this month.
I listen to books on tape while I work. Right now, I'm listening to "To the Power of Three," by Laura Lippman. Pretty good so far, and a good narrator. (A bad reader can totally ruin the best book...) These days I am spending all of my time working on art and working on the house. Not a bad life....


This is a close up of 'Hat #2.' I've made the initial body of the hat out of one single piece of bark. I've left the orange-cork side out and I'm sewing-beading panels of lighter bark on the outside. The lighter color is from peeling away layers of the bark to reach the inner, smooth surface. I really like the way the directional growth lines in the bark are intersecting!


Here is a shot of both hats, half finished. The one on the left is a very complex design, using many more pieces=much more sewing. The bottom edges are warping quite a bit, so I'm going to add on a stabilizing form near the end to ensure they keep the even, round shape. I still want to make sure that these hats are functional, however. I want to make sure that if worn in the rain or sun, they don't leak. They are functional objects, after all, not merely craft sculpture. Perhaps decorative functional....


When I did a broad web search for 'rice paddy hat,' this is one of the first I came upon from the Discovery Channel. Brilliant, eh? Apparently, you can use this solar hat to charge your cell phone. They also describe a solar purse to do the same! I would use the hat out hiking to charge my GPS or something.... Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

bugheart said...

i love
the way
the hats
are turning out...
can't wait
to see them
all finished!