Sunday, July 09, 2006



Phyllocnistis populiella continues it's rampant feeding on
every tree around my house. I've already been seeing the new
generation of adult moths! Contrary to what I've read, the larvae
are rolling up in the edge of the aspen leaves to cocoon, rather than
dropping down to the ground leaf litter. Every aspen tree is now a silvery
grey. If the leaf miners weren't enough, I found hoards of aphids feeding
on leaves of aspen saplings!

A real leaf---altered in photoshop to pump up the contrast. This
leaf still shows some intact mesophyll, whereas most leaves are
fully mined. The small fold on the left side of the leaf is where
the larval caterpillar is going through his transformation...
Still, I must say...it's just so very beautiful. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

swamp4me said...

I've always been intrigued by leaf miners. It is interesting to watch as they grow.

I look forward to spending some time looking through your blog. Alaska seems quite exotic - definitely a place I would like to visit and do some hiking.

bev said...

I also find leaf miners of great interest. Also, the kinds of map-like tracings left by insects under the bark of trees.

We get miners on the birch and poplar in our area as well (eastern Ontario) - also many aphids on the birch trees . However, we usually get large numbers of Asian Lady Beetles (Harmonia axyridis) that appear soon after and make quick work of the aphids.

Just had a look around at several posts on your blog. Enjoyed your art! I'll be back to read more.

bugheart said...

ohhh
love how
your leafminers
are a hot topic
over here!
i am a fan
of the galleries
beetles make
under bark
that bev (above)
mentioned...
have you looked
at them eero?
i bet that
you would
love them too!
gosh i adore
your leafminer pieces!
package out
to you \tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

hey elizabeth... I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU SOLD THE PIECE...I AM CONFLICTED, IS I FIND IT SO HARD TO GET THE WORK DONE, WHICH PERPLEXES ME, AS I KNOW I ENJOY ACCOMPLISHING IT....(OR DO I?), AND I KNOW I HAVE THE TALENT....SO WHY AM I SUCH A FREAK? ANYWAY...I LETTER WILL BE WINDING IT'S WAY TO YOU....I HAVE SPIED NO PAPER IN MY MAILBOX YET....?

Anonymous said...

p.s. that last entry was from me...

johnny pup-tent