Thursday, August 31, 2006

This Just In


I went into town to do some errands and, of course, had to stop by the Transfer Station to see what was what. It's been kind of a dismal season at the TS---mostly things that are too dirty, too broken, etc. Today I saw part of a door sticking up out of one of the dumpsters----upon closer inspection: a full light, glass door with heavy, solid wood frame! I wrestled it out of the dumpster by myself and got it into the bed of my pickup. Next year, this will be the front door on my patchwork greenhouse.
Then I looked to see what else might be in the dumpster....
and saw this quilt!
The main panel says, "Made by the Members of St. Elizabeth's Guild, Emmanuel Episcopal Church, San Angelo Texas, U.S.A."
I am a quiltmaker, so I can appreciate this intriguing work of art. It has names carefully embroidered all over it----several hundred, I am guessing without counting. The rector has also added his name in a very bad effort at embroidery! This is SO COOL! I'm going to wash it very carefully and then repair the small spots of damage I found in the border fabric.
So exciting.
You just never know what you'll find.

Now---off for a good long bike ride.

Later: dinner at a relative's house who just caught his moose for the year. (He needs help butchering it, but I don't know if I can do that....) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

bugheart said...

what a great find!
you should see
some of the quilts
at the village-
i am always
wondering if
i should buy them
for you...
figure
you can
always use blankets!
can't believe
someone
would throw
a quilt
away!

Lili-Bo-Nilly said...

My first thougth was "holy crap! They didn't even put it on the platform to recycle!" How could someone throw away so much work and effort? Can't wait to see it in person. Just shows you how homemade quilts are so undervalued.