Sunday, October 08, 2006

Bachelorettes and Brugmansia


The last item on 2 weeks of show preparation, organizing, travel, adventure is my friend Erin's bachelorette party! Much rich food and yummy drink... It's been ages since I got to hang out with lots of women and it was great...





Only a digital camera without flash in low light can make this scary picture...
I'd say it really captures the mood well...


Waiting for me at home after my trip were the HUGE blooms on my Brugmansia. Two massive, powerfully scenting blossoms. As the Brug is entering winter hibernation, hardly a leaf remains on its many stalks...yet it finishes the summer with these flowers as it's last gesture. These blossoms are 12.5 inches long and 8.5 inches wide at the opening edge of the petal. In 2 years of growing this one tree, it has only given us one flower per summer----reasonable, since it's a true tropical and I've just had it out on my deck in AK summer=lots of light, low humidity and cool nights (bad)---no greenhouse, unfortunately. This summer, after realizing just how much it LOVES lots of fertilizer, we've been rewarded with 4 blooms. The challenge with this plant is spider mites....they are nearly impossible to eradicate. Hopefully, a new neem oil spray I've found may help.....nothing else has. Next summer, if I get off my ass and get the greenhouse built, the Brug will have a very happy tropical season in it. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

David the Plant-o-Holic said...

Hi

Yu asked about red spider mite and Brugmansia.

I added a comment to the bottom of my latest blog. You all look very happy.

David
if you want to ask questions directly my email is pickeringconsult@sympatico.ca

julie said...

hello, thank you for visiting me!! Your work is lovely - isnt nature the best inspiration!!

OldandBusted said...

Good to celebrate after all that work. Estrogen-bonding!
The bloom looks lovely. What an incredible plant to be growing in Alaska!