Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Winter discipline...


It's -18F outside.....
I'm inside, trying to stay focused on paintings, making art, grant applications, etc.
It's hard to stay on task, since I dearly want to enter winter hibernation mode and watch a lot of movies, drink wine, read books.....nap.....


I was out with some artist friends last week and talked briefly with a sculptor. She asked me in a somewhat imperious voice, "What are you doing now?" in reference to my art. I told her about my large paintings on board, my abstracted botanical images, etc. She then asked "What else are you doing now?" (as if large scale paintings weren't enough) and I took a moment to think of how to respond. What came out was the truth....

"I'm spending a lot of time with my cat."

I am. We've been together 11 years and the best guess between his vet and I puts his age at 17. He's getting slower and slower, eats less, has trouble getting up from a nap....he's old. 17 for a feline is roughly similar to 90-95 for a human. I can feel every sharp bone in his body now....from 13 lbs. a few years ago to barely 8 lbs. I have to face how short our time together is and I start to cry whenever I think about it. I don't have many truly close friends and this orange creature has been with me day and night for over a decade.
I've put beds for him all over the house---his new favorite place during the day is in front of the fireplace: nice and warm.


First marks of a new painting--- 4'x4'. It's daunting to start an artwork this big. I worry about "wasting" materials, making something that isn't any good. This investment just seems so much ...more.With works on paper, I don't feel too bad if it's a stinker and I can just crumple it up or toss it on the burn pile outside (the sacrificial alter of many bad paintings). Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

bugheart said...

the first painting
is gorgeous
eero!
wowowow...
.....
poor floofer...
it breaks
my heart.

Carson said...

Thanks for visiting my blog (I know that was ages ago..sometimes it takes me ages to catch up with blogosphere visiting!)
And thanks for sharing your story about your cat..yes that is old, and I can empathise with the thought of losing him.
But on a happier note..I really love that work on paper..charcoal?

Eero said...

Yes---I like a really rough charcoal sketch so that when I begin to lay down the paint, it picks up some of the dust...neat effect.
A happier note, too---Orange Cat is feeling better with some vitamin supplements for his arthritis! Yay!

Anonymous said...

When I first saw the picture of your cat, I thought that is one well loved, older cat. I'm sure there is no more perfect place for him than in front of that stove. I would join him if I could.