Thursday, February 01, 2007

Survey work...


I've been helping Frommage with some of his survey jobs. I wanted to help him get the jobs done without delays and also save him a little money in hiring people. I do the work of a chainman, but for me, I guess one could call it 'pretend chainman.' Not understanding the deeper complexities of land surveying, I just go where he tells me to and I hold the rod and prism very still. (I'm good at this, he tells me.)

These photos are from a survey we did out on Chena Hot Springs Road----it was about +25F (balmy!) and the job took us just over 2 hours....an easy survey, Frommage says.

The photo above is me in my carhart suit (recognize it, Dena?) and a beaver fur hat. In interior Alaska native culture, women should only wear rabbit or fox fur, not beaver. But hey...it's a really warm hat.....we got it at a garage sale for $20 and it's handmade.....

This is the crux, for me: I love animals. I could never kill an animal unless it was to put it out of terrible pain, or if I was starving and desperately needed to hunt to stay alive. I love this hat, but I still feel sadness and guilt when I wear it---as well as pleasure. I love Beavers in all their clever industriousness---there are many here in interior AK. I'm never able to find a balance point in how I feel about animals and how I eat them and wear them. I'm always pulled in two directions....



Here's Frommage....man of the wilderness.



And why was a desk out there in the woods? After the survey, we looked in all the drawers. I was secretly hoping for a lost letter or wads of frosty cash. Just rusty leaves were found.

This would be an excellent site for a letterbox!



Underneath the bridge that was part of the survey I found these beautiful patterns and lines where paint had flaked and chipped off. It looks like termite patterns or coral growth. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

bugheart said...

i love the desk...
a letterbox
in an old pen box...
brilliant!
and
those patterns...
under the bridge...
not so sure
they are termites
but they are
so beautiful.

Dena said...

Nice Carhartt! (:<

Although I understand your mixed feelings about wearing the beaver hat, please know that beaver's soul is much happier knowing its pelt is being USED and appreciated rather than hanging out being a decoration on somebody's wall. That's big...BIG.