Sunday, April 01, 2007

New Sketchbook


I live in a years-long series of sketchbooks. These are
very important books to me---not only a record of
art ideas, art in progress, art made...but also
a personal record of who I've been. They are
much more evocative and accurate as a personal
account than any written journal or diary could be.

I decorate these sketchbooks when I need to
start a new one. (I usually use Bienfang or Strathmore
for their size and good paper--also, not too expensive.)
The above book spans almost a year and a half.
Cut outs and collage materials for the covers
are from any and all nifty magazines I can get my hands on.
I am finding a lot of magazines at the Transfer Station
these days....endless, good, free source material!

When we moved into our house, we opened every box,
unpacked every crate and found there was a lot of stuff
we no longer needed/wanted, nor wished to burden our
house with. We set up a big bonfire in the yard and
burned old bills, journals, letters, art, etc. etc. We drank
a bottle of wine given to us for a wedding present and
had a fantastic time. Yes, I burned quite a few old
journals---the written kind. All of the sketchbooks
escaped our purge! I kept every one...even back to the
sloppy angst-ridden pages of my high school sketchbook.






The sketchbook from March '05-March '06.
I loved this cover, especially. It's very, very me.




Cover of the book I've just finished. I'm sad
to move on from this one because a lot has been
done, experienced and succeeded from this book!
I often have to go back through these pages
and reference old sketches, notes and information.



And, the newest book, begun March 31, 2007.
An ancient Japanese warrior's costume on the
front against a background of whales. Seemed
like a good idea at the time. Really though, the
colors and shapes thrilled me.



Back cover. Another example of my love
of the totally linear....

1 comment:

Philip said...

They seem like works of art in themselves to me. I really like your latest cover.