Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Vessel Wednesday


Here is my addition to Vessel Wednesday, begun by
Needle's Edge on the other side of the world from me.


These are concrete planters I saw in a garden center
on the Big Island, Hawaii. Looking at this picture, which
I've printed and put on my fridge, makes me
feel calm and happy and anticipatory---I hope to
make one of these this summer!

Right now, I'm working long hours every day
at the greenhouses, then doing multiple errands,
then home at night to try to get some painting done,
all while falling far behind on cooking, cleaning, and
paying much needed attention to my husband and cat.

These are busy days. I'm scheduling a lot of tasks a
week ahead of time, just so I can feel some reasurance
that the whatever-it-is will be taken care of.

Most of my stress is due to the imminent installation
of my group show, "9 North." Everything is falling
into place quite well so far, but I still stress and worry.
It's in my nature.

My own work for this show is large and much different
in materials and scope than anything I've done before.
I spent some time and money at the hardware store
today investing in materials to create stabilizing frames
with 2"x2"s for the 4'x4' paintings. L brackets! Eye bolts!
Heavy gauge wire!

A funny thing....Fromage and I realized that there is
really no wall space in our house that can comfortably
house paintings of this size. My reaction: I hope they sell!

Seriously, though. I am just so tired after a full day of
planting flower baskets and hauling soil bales and
organizing my fellow basketeers and being on my feet
carrying plants around that it's very, very hard to
keep going after 5:00pm. I tell people that I work
at a greenhouse and they usually say "That sounds
so nice!" when really, my back aches, my feet hurt
and my hands are covered in callouses.
Hey---it's a lot better than many other jobs....I'll
stop complaining now.

Back to Vessel Wednesday...
I look at this picture and I think of summer and the
9 North exhibit being done and having some free time
to play around and make stuff like this.

7 comments:

Carson said...

Hi Eero,
I'm so glad you've joined vessel wednesday.
Yep it started as a totally selfindulgent little idea of mine for my blog and its really taken on a life of its own..quite fascinating really!
Those water garden pots are beautiful, I can see why looking at them on your fridge would calm you.
Good luck with the upcoming show.

Heather Moore said...

Hi there
I found your blog via your comment on Carson's. What lovely paintings you have made! Quite beautiful.
Cheers
Heather

ms. pea said...

Those vessels do make me think of other times to come; more time to lounge and think and make something beautiful for the sheer pleasure of it.

Sarah said...

I am finally delurking, love the vessels, your work, your orchids, etc. I would love to have you visit me in Asheville when you come to Penlands. Coffee?

Eero said...

Hi Sarah,
Do you have a blog? Can't get a link off your name...

Are you a fellow artist?

E.

Anonymous said...

hey girl....

I hope you get it all done...right now I feel so far behind where I think I should be....I am feeling the need to makes some lists myself, so as to correct my course....That photo makes me wish I was there, with a clawfoot tub of hot water to climb into, and a manhattan to drink, and a sunset to watch...all at once.....god I could go for that...!!!

johnny pie-hole

Anonymous said...

No blog, just email urquhart@ioa.com. I am an artist of sorts, finding ways to arrange odd stuff in some sort of composition.
Sarah