Friday, July 13, 2007

Book Meme....


Here's a fun list for bibliophiles out there from my Penland
classmate BookGirl...
Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror?
All three! But Sci-fi wins my heart first, everytime.
Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
Well, I'd have to say hardback for reference books and keepers for my collection, trade paperback and mass market for bedtime reading. I do really like mass markets for traveling and curling up in bed with.
Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Amazon or Powells for when I'm purchasing with the exact title/author I need. Brick and Mortar for finding new, nifty stuff.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
I'd have to say....the library. I only have B&N in my town. I'd have to say my very favorite book store is Powells in Portland, OR.

Hitchhiker or Discworld?
Hitchhiker allllll the way.

Bookmark or Dogear?
Bookmark with whatever is at hand....I've been known to use socks.

Asimov's Science Fiction, or Fantasy and Science Fiction?
All of the above!

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random?
Arrange by size and shape...hey, I'm a visual artist, after all...
Keep, Throw Away or Sell?
I've kept, I've sold, but I've never thrown away. If a book of mine becomes so over used that it's no longer readable, I burn it. Kind of a spiritual act, actually.

Keep dust-jacket or toss it?
Keep!

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Depends on how nice it is or how much it gets in the way.

Short story or novel?
Both.
Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Harry Potter, definitely.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I read a lot at night....and usually fall asleep with a book in my hand. My husband has found me happily asleep with several books hidden amongst blankets, sheets and under the pillows.
If I'm studying, I like to stop at chapter breaks.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time?"
Dark and stormy......
Buy or Borrow?
Library! Buy only real 'keepers' and reference books.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Buy only books I 'need' according to whatever research I am doing at the time or whatever
book has great info. on my lifelong passions.
Lewis or Tolkien?
Neither, really....
Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
I love both. Anthologies have often led me to the works of fabulous writers I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Kage Baker, for instance.
Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Both.
Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
All of the above!

Standalone or Series?
Both, of course.

New or used?
Both, again!

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
The "Books of the True Game" series by Sherri S. Tepper when she was just starting out as a published writer. She's well known for her novels, "The Gate to Women's Country" and "Grass," but this much older and different series of hers is seemingly long-forgotten and out of print. The writing is so imaginative and unpredictable and her descriptive style calls to me....

Top 5 favorite genre books of all time?
"Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson
"Blood Music" by Greg Bear
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman
"Smilla's Sense of Snow" by Peter Hoeg
"Neuromancer" by William Gibson
Favorite genre series?
William Gibson---Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Idoru....

Currently Reading?
"Science Fiction: the Best of the Year 2006" edited by Rich Horton
"The Ultimate Ride" by Chris Carmichael
"Callings: Finding and Following an authentic life" by Gregg LeVoy (poetically written)
"The Lance Armstrong Performance Program" by Lance Armstrong and Chris Carmichael
And you?
If you pick up this meme, let me know....who else out there is a fellow book lover?

1 comment:

BookGirl said...

This is a great way to get ideas for new books to read, E. I'd never heard of Sherri Tepper, since I'm not a reader of science fiction, but just looked her up on Amazon and I just may check her out.