Thursday, August 02, 2007

Destruction and Harvest


After my big ride last Friday, I woke the next morning to find this...

Moose had totally destroyed our garden in the middle
of the night.
Collards, Kale, Chard, Broccoli, Cauliflower....they even tore
great hunks of carrots out of the ground.

Moose are not tidy eaters....there was slobbery, broken
garden debris everywhere.

And what did I do?

Just sat down and cried.....




The kale was waist high....
the collard leaves were HUGE---15" long!
Several broccoli heads were perfect for picking....

sigh.

I didn't take the precaution of building a fence or
some kind of barrier around the beds. We usually
only see Moose around our house in winter....

I didn't take precautions, and look at what I've lost.
It just breaks my heart. All summer long, I've gotten up
in the morning to go sit on the deck in the sun, drink coffee,
and gaze lovingly at our beautiful garden.....

sigh.


It makes me wonder: Where else in my life have I not
taken sensible precautions against disaster? What else
have I lulled myself into a false sense of security over?




On a cheerier note...
the Big Dude is doing good.
He doesn't care about the garden or moose
or disasters....
He just wants to snooze in the sun.




Regardless of the lost garden, I'm still collecting
what foodstuffs I can for the coming winter.
I went out blueberry picking with my friend Nelle.

Good conversation, good harvest.

During the cold months: blueberry muffins, pancakes, pies.....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh no! At first I didn't know what you meant by moose, and then I realised, those big things with antlers right, I can't believe they have eaten all your lovely vegetables :( It's only rabbits that have eaten all mine this year, but I still understand how soul destroying it is to see all your hard work and anticipation go down the drain (or should I say moose...). But at least you have those tasty looking blueberries :)