Saturday, September 01, 2007

Leaf Miner Art, complete!

Bugheart sent me her first half of our Leaf Miner project for the Synthesis Exhibit opening later this week in Anchorage, AK. First 'half?' More like 3/4! There really wasn't too much to add to finish these clever pieces. Above is a shot of "The Way is Clear" before I've gotten my grubby hands on it. Our project was to create new work for an art exhibit to run simoutaneously with the Arctic Science conference. I was lucky enough to be on the review committee to look over artists submissions for the show (facinating process and a lot of fun!). Anyway---bugheart and I worked with the facts, lifecycle and images surrounding Phyllocnistis populiella, the Aspen Leaf Miner Moth, aka, the 'serpentine leaf miner.' The second name is from the patters the moth larvae eat though the leaf cuticle---winding mine tunnels. I am really interested in this insect artistically and personally. I live on 5 acres of aspen and white spruce, all of which are being ravaged by leaf miner moths and spruce budworms, respectively. In spring, when all these little dudes wake up from their long winter's nap, my land is a true bug blow-out. Worms and moths and webbing everywhere....kinda freaky. If you recall, long-time blog readers, I did some artwork about Phyllo. pop. last year at an exhibit at the UAF Museum of the North. Check out that story here.




For the larger piece, I simply added numbers and name.... The 2006 Forest Heath Report created by the Alaska Division of Forestry listed that 457,882 acres of Alaskan aspen forests were suffering from leaf miner infestation.


And who could make clever, sciency art without a little Latin thrown in? I like the silver leaf on the back and the green acrylic ink words on the front. (I have a friend who used to paint on glass and I thought she was crazy for using such a damned breakable surface....but now I get it. Painting on glass feels goooood.) Bugheart, creative, thrifty soul that she is didn't quite use silver leaf.....if you look at those leaf edges, you'll realize what this is.... How much gum have you been chewing, bh?


Here is a shot of the piece in my window. This is so perfect to see the art this way. I hope whomever buys it (fingers crossed) hangs it in their window.


And finally, the second artwork, "20/20 Hindsight." Again, I didn't have far to go to finish this. I got plexiglas to seal the front, carefully drilling holes in the fragile corners so I could nail it in place without too much trauma. (Didn't have small screws...urgh!) I put bugheart's glycoside model on 'my' side, over leaves painted into the surface. Her side was so rich with info and detail (and even 2 little leaf miner carcasses!) that I didn't want my side to compete with it.

The show opens this week.....

I'll let ya'll know how it went.

3 comments:

BookGirl said...

Sending all best wishes for the exhibit, E!

Carson said...

yep, it should definately sit in a window :)
thanks for your thoughts too by the way

bugheart said...

oh eero
i LOVE
what you did
with the pieces...
you made them
so balanced
and rich!
wonderful...
i especially
love what you
did with
the little piece...
i was a little
uneasy about it
and now
i think it's perfect.
thank you
so so much
for asking me
to participate!