Friday, September 07, 2007

Post 199...

This bones painting is taking an enormous amount of time and labor. Sometimes, one must accept that things will take as long as they will take....




Here is a closer view. I've layer tissue beneath gesso on 1/8" baltic birch plywood (cheap, smooth) and I'm working solely in acrylics. I did some underpainting, stamping, etc. to the sub-layer, but now think that it doesn't mesh with the meticulous painting of the rib bones, themselves. I have 5 or six old, dry ribs that I hold in my left hand, paint brush in right hand. It helps to look at them closely and frequently. And where did I get this collection of ribs? I seem to recall pulling them off some hideous sculpture at the local university art dept. trash bin....but I don't exactly recall. They're not moose ribs---too short. Not caribou, either...too round and thick. I suspect they are from a Dall sheep....best guess, anyway. I hope no paleontologists mess with me about the exact details on the ribs...I am taking some artistic license, after all....

Painting table----limited pallette. I've switched to Liquitex; affordable and showing some good plasticky permanence. I had been mixing these with some Art Advantage acrylics, but the color kept pulling up when I painted over them. Frustrating! There was one particular red that wouldn't stay put and bled through all other colors laid over it. Made me want to tear my hair out! Or chuck the painting on the burn pile....destiny of all bad art.


Here is the action shot.... My studio is incredibly full of crap....just as is every other artist's studio I've had the pleasure to visit. I don't like the disarray, but a full organizing campaign would entail moving almost everything out of this room to build shelves, etc. Can't do it now...gotta paint. (As you can see, the bones painting is somewhat large---HxW is 4'x3'.


The studio, myself, second view...

I wrote this to take a break from painting.....back to work!

4 comments:

Hyena In Petticoats said...

That bone painting is marvellous....
And I think your studio is beautiful just as it is...
And of course I don't mind if you link to my blog, in fact, it would be a pleasure!
Thanks!
Leah xx

redredday said...

hi Eero!
thank you for your comments. and like Leah, i would totally be pleased for you to link to my blog. (sorry, i have linked to yours without even thinking to ask. hope you didnt' mind.)

i could so feel your deep absorption with this painting. it is like you are creating your own language with the ribs. they seemed to form characters/symbols...waiting to be deciphered...?

and your painting table looks quite neat! mine is a whole big mess. like your easel and how the painting sits bigger than you.

Eero said...

Exactly RedRed-D,
I'm making the bone images as if they were cast down---like runes. "Reading the bones" and all that. So cool that you got that!
Thanks for noticing my easel. I just invested in it this year and LOVE it. It can take huge canvases.

bugheart said...

the bones
are
amazing...
and i love
seeeing you
working
in your studio!