Thursday, September 20, 2007

Progress apace....

This is the favored choice for the Bones Show postcard. The gallery owner is happy that I'm making posters/flyers to distribute around town. This isn't the standard MO for an art show, but regardless of how small this town is, the societies tend to get a little segregated. A lot of arty folks go to art shows, natch. I'm hoping to bring in some new people, some fresh faces, and posters in public places may accomplish that.

So far, 25 artists are confirmed and have sent in their work dimensions. Rough estimate puts the show at about 35 pieces. It's not a huge gallery, and the owner says it might be a little crowded----and I say, better crowded than empty! Over the past year, I've contacted (or attempted to contact) over 50 Alaskan artists for this exhibit. As a curator, this is all part of the effort. For the 50 folks I'd hoped to invite, 25 have come through. This is just how it shakes down with group shows, it seems. There is always a contingent that can't come through at the last mile of the race, for whatever reason.

The artwork is taking a lot of forms: one artist, Mary Matthews, has made a HUGE walk-in sculpture incorporating x-rays. It's pretty fascinating. Given the inherent nature of the subject and it's usual connotations (DEATH), I am really looking forward to seeing how the artists each interpreted the theme....

Let's just hope the show isn't too dark and depressing.

Today, Fromage is out in the wilds of Alaska, measuring the landscape. Moi, I have a day with the house to myself (Yay!) and plan to spend a good part of it in the studio, with a brief foray out to play with Sheila.

Dark, dark, dark this morning. I'm still not used to it, after 3 months of solid daylight.

No comments: