Saturday, October 27, 2007

Nearing show time....

A small vignette of a painting. This was the best part of it before I realized the overall attempt was a dud and gave up on it. I often photograph paintings in process and also focus in on small areas to remember good details of compositions. I'm sure this little, sweet shape will show up somewhere else...




One of my newest paintings, "Twirl." How and why I started doing this almost cartoon-like painting, I don't know. It was really fun, however! I could make these swirling, lined shapes all day. There's the shape again, this time massing and becoming a herd to move together instead of independently. Who would've known? This style is quite different from other, more 'serious' paintings I've done in the last 3 years. I have some trepidation in showing it. Also, it's pink. Pink! Still....it's in the show. I'll just have to suck it up and see what the reaction/feedback is.


A view of the studio with all of the new work in process of framing. I deliver 14 pieces to the gallery on Monday. For this exhibit, I'm foregoing the usual comment book. I've found that they are absolutely worthless to me! During an exhibit, guests/viewers are invited to make comments on the show, but I've rarely found anything of lasting importance in the book once the show is over. A lot of comments like "Good Show!" and an unintelligible name. People just don't write deep, insightful, detailed comments in these books. At least, none that I've seen. (You may have had a different experience...) Instead, I'm setting out a binder with images of other work I do (books, quilts, etc.) and some information and images of how I make work, etc.

If I see an art exhibit I like, I often wonder about the artist themself and their process. At the group exhibit I curated in May, "9 North: Multimedia Alaskan Perspectives," I included a BIG three ring binder with images of each artist, their CV and a statement from them, as well as a curators statement. This was such a big hit with the visitors and gallery staff that the gallery coordinator paid me to make three more for gallery reference. So: Artists out there---think about it. It's a good marketing tool!


Last night I went out to a reception held by the Rasmuson Foundation, the group that awarded me an Individual Artist Project Award last December. This was a meet and greet for affiliated organizations and many artists who've received their funds. This is a shot of two artist friends, Annie Duffy, sculptor and multimedia painter, and Rachelle Dowdy, sculptor. Art friends are pure gold...they are the rare people I can talk with about very personal, important experiences and ideas that happen only in the studio---and understand. For instance, Rachelle and I shared the secret that we both love sleeping in our studios and waking up to our art....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now....your October 14th post caught my attention. I can relate- my cat Midnight is my full time assistant with my paintings as well! Although it has been a few weeks, I often post my progress on my work on my blog. Midnight insists on being in many of those photos :-) I am enjoying seeing your progress & wish you nothing but the best for your upcoming show. My blog originally started out as a way for me to document my progress with my painting- although I am unable to devote my full attention to my art right now- you will occasionally see photos of my work (& many more of my cat!). Best Energies-

Sarah