Monday, October 22, 2007

Snow...

Four or five inches fell this week with at least that much more expected in the next few days. Fromage jumped on his bike at dusk...



... for a quick spin. You can see he's smiling.


Here's a much better image of how beautiful it is here right now.


Winter still has it's newness and novelty. I'm happy that I got to go out for the first ski of the season! Getting out of the studio for at least a few hours is keeping my head clear.

With this new type of thing happening in my painting, I need all the perspective I can get. WTF? I suddenly felt the urge to make all of the *shapes* swim together in swirling bodies. Does it look good? I don't know. It felt right. These paintings are looking a little cartoony to me. When I show them to Fromage, he's very ambivalent and doesn't say much at all. (Not really a good sign...)

I kind of cringe when I think of putting these in my upcoming show, but I have to because I am low on work as it is. To defend this new painting style, I must admit that they're enormously fun, if not very mature or serious.

It's an interesting development for The Shape. I didn't expect it, and it just popped into being right there on the paper. Pretty damned cool! I've been working with The Shape for over 2 years and suddenly it's transformed it's meaning yet again for me. Just when I think I'm almost done with it...

The lines are incredibly fun to draw, and as I am making the content and background image, I really, really look forward to painting in the lines with a #0 paintbrush. I'm using FW Acrylic Artists Ink. Very fluid, very dense, very permanent, without the plasticky feeling of standard acrylics. I learned about these inks from Laura Wait, my teacher at Penland School of Crafts last summer. I tell you....I am just now realizing what a wealth of new materials and techniques I learned there. All of that new knowledge is coming out in my new paintings these days. Very satisfying! I miss Penland, still. I had a dream about it the other night, in fact. Sigh.


7 comments:

Philip said...

Sorry I haven't been been around for awhile. I like this new work very much - especially the perspective. Congratulations on the show btw - looks great!

cochabamba said...

i like the new direction.
i don't think a painter ever needs to DEFEND anything. i have some friends that worry a lot about that, what the critics will say, etc... i dont think that should be your concern. your work is evolving, and more importantly, you are having fun with it. that is much more important.
i am really struggling myself to get a show up by february, and right now, it aint looking so good.

Eero said...

Hi Philip,
I check in on you from time to time---always inspiring!
E.

Eero said...

C,
I wondered how your show was coming along. Sounds like you are experiencing what I have these last months/weeks. This show...I tell ya....it's definitely not going to be my best.

brittany said...

I love your snow photos - it is beautiful outside right now... and quite inspiring to try out change!

Carson said...

Well...
just go with your instinct is my advice
if the shapes feel right then go with them

Jerome said...

Great photos!!!