Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Preservation of the Sweet," Acrylic inks and gouache on watercolor paper. (Detail view) 20"x16"

Life is full. My co-worker asked me if I just had TONS of energy all the time to maintain my art career, working, etc. I honestly told her I had arranged my life into four basic areas: Home+Fromage, Art, Working, Skiing. This seems to say it all. Stuff outside these areas is pretty much extraneous. Friends are in there somewhere...but it doesn't seem like I'm spending much time with them these days.

Deep winter is upon us, regardless of the unusually warm temperatures and very little snowfall. We're losing 5-8 minutes of daylight every day on our continual slide towards December 21st and that final, 3+hour "day." I'm naturally drawn to hibernation this time of year. Stay home, read, eat, sleep. Leaving Alaska at this time of year is crucial to my mental health. I don't know if it'll happen this winter, but hoo boy would I love a few weeks in Mexico!

Work in the studio has been going really well. I've let myself drop "The Shape" completely and played with color, fine calligraphy nibs and acrylic inks. (Thank you Laura Wait, for introducing me to them----they are SO wonderful to work with!) And hey Penland book ladies out there, I'm writing in Klingon on these paintings---it's fabulous!

The above snippet of a drawing/painting is one of my most recent works, already installed in the Women's Exhibit at The Alaska House Art Gallery. Being picked up by this gallery is such a pleasure. The owner, Yolande Fejes, is an organized and informed businesswoman with great marketing savvy and a lifelong history in the arts. She and I have had a couple of good conversations about arts/artist professionalism and organization. My kind of lady! With the delivery of a full portfolio later this week, I hope to have a solo show at The Alaska House scheduled for sometime in 2008 or early 2009. It's a smaller, more intimate gallery that also sells Alaskan native fine art and crafts. This would give me the opportunity to make more smaller scale works with a more illustrative bent, the direction I've been heading. Very cool.

On another note....
Life is not all sun and roses. (Well, of course, I live in a deep-freeze....)
I'm totally frustrated by working a job for low wages. It feels like such an utter waste of time when I could be in the studio. Of course, bills have to be paid.....but it doesn't make me any less resentful. I'm totally frustrated by having to work at all, truth be told! I have a career---I have a job: making art, being an artist. I'm also resentful of cleaning house, doing errands, worrying about finances....

Yes, I would love a few weeks in Mexico.....

3 comments:

Angela said...

Wonderful job! :) I know that some things can get one frustrated but try not to let it get to you. :) Great work and absolutely outstanding art!
*HUGS*

Sarah said...

Your latest work is absolutely beautiful...I love it! I understand your frustration w/ the day job....but you are still managing to produce such beautiful art, so don't be too hard on yourself....the best I've been doing lately is a few hours of painting per month :[

Eero said...

Awww...thanks girls!