Thursday, January 10, 2008

Getting out...

Walk on the frozen Tanana River with Fromage the other day.... About -10F, dusk.



Winter Fromage.

The winter river is a highway for snowmachines (called 'snomobiles' in other places...).


Moi.


We found a place where early freezing had buckled layers of thin ice to the surface. Digging under the snow, I was able to break off plate-like pieces. I arranged them on this block of ice for an impromptu sculpture... The whole thing is a little smaller than a sofa. Just goes to show you can make art anywhere...

5 comments:

bugheart said...

god that's beautiful.

Karen Travels said...

I love these pics!

I also really like your new banner pic...where was that taken and will you take me there puh-lease?

...I am in the midst of filling out applications!!

Eero said...

Hi KT,
I took the banner photograph on top of Cleary Summit which is about 40 miles outside of Fairbanks to the North. I was on an 80 mile bicycle ride that day and that was my summit photo.

If you ever get up to Fairbanks, I'd be happy to show you some great hiking spots!
E.

Karen Travels said...

I was pretty sure it was Alaska, but the rolling moutains actually look a lot like upstate NY!! So I had to make sure!

johnny said...

I love that top picture of the Tanananaanhaha river...Love all those blue shadows....Wish me luck, I am applying for a scholarship at Anderson Ranch in Colorado...and it needs to be in in 4 days...ugh (Just realized, no it ain't this blog site's art camp...) Good luck to everyone who is filing out applications right now...mayu you get what you deserve, uh, desire...Let's not even bring up tax time yet....