Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Finally.....at last.....damn it.

So I am trying to sneak past my artist's block. I'm not even sure if it really IS artist's block, since I have about a gajillion ideas....it's just been a matter of getting them out, if you know what I mean.
Above: page from my sketchbook.

Part of the problem is that everything I've been trying to do just feels wrong, somehow. I'll set down some paint, some ink, some something, and it just feels utterly off-kilter and not even in my personal art ballpark. I know that my work as a whole is going through some massive transition. I am a person who doesn't like no knowing where I am going, so this art-shift has been difficult. Where is my art going? Don't know. Can't work. Or, at least, I haven't been able to up until now.

What's changed? A little more light in the sky, for one. Winter's deathgrip on the landscape is beginning to lessen a bit. A few more birds in the trees outside the studio windows, all the orchids are waking up and doing new stuff--leaves and bloom spikes, skiing has been fantastic.

So....
Artist's block deathgrip is lessening. Thank goodness....

This is a small view of a large painting/drawing which came together surprisingly quickly. I had the idea for this painting and couldn't decide whether to dive in. I began to think of my friend and fellow artist Jean Lester. I imagined that when she gets and idea and sits down to paint, she goes full steam ahead and DAMN THE TORPEDOES! So I've decided to emulate that get-off-your-ass battlecry.....in an art sense. It's all about GSD: Get Shit Done, which is transforming into GSDNOE, Get Shit Done Now Or Else. My show is a scant 8 weeks away. Scary.


I showed this painting to Fromage and he said it was hard to identify what the white drawn things were. Can you tell what they are? Click on the 'comments' button below and weigh in. It's important that they're identifiable. (I think it's grossly obvious, so his observation surprised me.)

Sun is shining and I have to get painting....

8 comments:

Paul Adasiak said...

Egg shells, right?

Eero said...

Voila! I knew they were recognizable!

f. pea said...

yes, egg shells for sure. but they could also be broken-open fortune cookies.

lili said...

eggshells or broken rocks (but I knew they were eggshells) :)

Martha Marshall said...

Immediately undeniably eggshells.
And I love it!

johnny said...

HEy don't beat yerself up...sometimes when you're out of yer ussual area/zone....that's when you discover some new potential or voice you never knew you had ....PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT GOING ON

johnny said...

by the way...i've always felt the same way about canvas...I have always preferred something more solid,like wood panels...

subarcticmama said...

Egg shells. They're identifiable.