Sunday, July 06, 2008

Life in the Eero Lane....

I can't update on all the personal turmoil and general malaise going on in my life, so I'll just show a few images of nifty stuff I've seen/done recently which is helping to keep my head above the proverbial water.....

Above, my shadow cast on the sandbar where Fromage and I spent an evening. We borrowed a canoe from sister Lily of the Valley and paddled across the Tanana to an island.



The calming vista of a sandbar. We spent an hour canoeing around, a couple of hours just walking around in the silt barefoot----lovely. Then a bonfire and dinner....


Nothing smells so good as a driftwood bonfire. This is shot around 9pm. The nighttime of life near the Arctic Circle.


Another outing a couple of weeks ago----we drove South and found an old, abandoned road, went for a walk, exploring....and stumbled across some orchids! Cypripediums....forget the rest of the name... They had a faint, beautiful cinnamon scent.



Thick, strong stalks, growing in sphagnum moss just over dense, muddy silt. They grew suprising close to the base of black spruce----acidic conditions?!


Fromage in a size-comparison shot....


This is the old road we found the orchids growing alongside in the brush. I look at this image and it feels like a metaphor for my life right now. I'm on my 'path;' I feel like I'm on the only road I can be on right now in my life, but damn....somthing is really, really wrong.....

4 comments:

Jules said...

hey.
thanks for the comments on my blog. nice to know fbx friends are reading during my big transition. hope things are working themselves out for you, and hope you are getting some good time on your bike these days.

fyi, i don't even know what adansonia is, but regardless bloom or not, you've been a plant rock star in my book ever sense my first trip to the pk, when you suggested begonias as a zesty decadent treat for a friend's wedding cake i was making. it was a huge hit and way better than boring nasturiums i was looking for.

joe shlichta said...

If we are going to speak in metaphors, remember that although the road may be old and broken, there are some pretty flowers on the side hidden away in the old treestumps. You just have to take some time to look, which it seems you are doing. Not to get all casteneda on you about roads, but hang in there. Ups and downs are part life, and i know you can feel it pretty intensely at times. But the road goes on, and you never know what it around the bend.

bike&beer said...

hey eero, hang in there, life throws these crazy paths at us, but if we navigate well, we find the destination. i know many who have. actually, most have! as we say in brazil (please discard the catholic excess), god writes straight on uneven lines. a friend had trouble getting it, so i will say that, basically, even though the path has lots of ups and downs, one will get to the destination! xo

Shakespere said...

Wonderful photos. I really enjoyed your blog. Have fun.