Friday, December 26, 2008

Frozen River

Fromage and I went for a walk down to the river. In his surveying of some nearby property, he found this old car hidden in the woods and sunk into the snow. I couldn't get any exterior shots of it because too many trees had grown up around it and snow blanketed everything.


Fromage in the new Steger Mukluks I bought for him.



The frozen river. Not enough snowmachine trails to make skate skiing possible. This spring, I'd really like to ski the 50 river miles to the nearby village of Nenana. I've had friends that did it in one day! Fromage thinks it would have to be an overnight with snowcamping. Could be a great adventure! I could really use one...

Eero in the snow. The landscape was shrouded in a constant snowfall. One could see the far ridgeline, but only dimly. The temperature was around +5F that day...

I've not made any color corrections to these images! The light really does get blue at sunset around 3pm. We are gaining daylight now, past the shortest day of winter solstice: a whole 3 hours and 40 minutes of daylight. We're gaining over a minute a day, back towards the hectic 3 months of summer daylight.
Honestly, for all the novelty of this landscape and it's dramatic seasons, I REALLY would like to live somewhere with more balanced light and darkness. I've realized that I make a lot of art in spring and autumn---the only times I get to experience bright days and dark nights. Funny, eh?







6 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

I just don't get it. Oh, I had 38 years of snow days. I don't know how I lasted that long. Looking at these pictures, I remember the beauty. However, I also remember my frozen toes, sliding on the ice in my car, ice storms, and feeling miserable.

I guess there has to be somebody on Earth who likes the NORTH country. Otherwise, the world would become unbalanced and tip towards Florida.
LOL LOL LOL

Leslie said...

hey E,
happy holidays and new year!!! how is everything?! I will write more soon, lots to catch up on, perhaps I´ll just post to my blog. currently am in the Canary islands on an adventure. but thanks for posting the snowy winter pics, i was just feeling nostalgic about skiing on that river-- how bout all that snow!! wow-wee.
love to you both,
les.

johnny said...

HAPPY X-MAS, ETC!! Hope yer having a blast.....Seattle had so much snow I couldn't believe it...sadly, I didn't get to taste some powder and get up to the mountains and go boarding....sigh....The nephew is so cute I wanna BARF!! Now back in nyc and glad to be home...Hope all's well with you my lil' snowbird...

luv JOHNNY

dragonfly said...

Hi, I like your photos a lot. I am a big fan of travelling and taking pictures as well so here I my favourite picture from Norway: http://www.odyssei.com/travel-gallery/99018.html (during the Christmas time, I recommend it).  I think I will come back here, so see ya later!

Violet said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭

Violet said...

高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙,牙周病,矯正,植牙