Sunday, December 14, 2008

I'm doing something right...



Watering the orchids on Friday the 12th. I did a detailed inspection of everyone in the Herd and found tiny bloom spikes forming on 3 phalaenopsis, one oncidium and one dendrobium!











Sadly, I also found a fat, mature scale hidden in the leaf fold of the cattleya. I've managed to keep the infestation in check, but I've never been able to totally eradicate them. I'm leery of using insecticides because the orchids are so sensitive....I don't want to hurt them.



Bad close-up detail...

Mature scale look like brown chitons. Simple version: they mature into a cap that holds hundreds of wee progeny that under a microscope, look like creepy little jellybeans.


I had a moment of pure joy when I found flower buds on the cattleya!!! This is a plant that my sister found abandoned by someone at the offices where she works. She gave it to me to foster, and after many months, it began to show signs of recovery.



It's cattleya 'Secret Love.' I get to look forward to somthing like this!

Since we can't go to Hawaii this winter, I'll at least get SOMETHING tropical in my life.

4 comments:

The BOY's Mom said...

You always do things right...whether or not you realize and/or acknowledge it. (:

You should let me know sometime if the PB survived the UPS drama...I'm half-expecting it to not have survived. But I like nice surprises. (:

Eero said...

The Butterfly is traumatized, for sure (who wouldn't be) and has wrinkly pseudobulbs as a result, but he'll bounce back. He's now one of the Herd, and has some good friends.

bikeandbeer said...

that reminds me - my orchids ALL have either new flowers already, or bloom spikes. the crack window is amazing! i'll post. happy holidays!

beautiful said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔>,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙