Friday, February 06, 2009

My Birthday

My 37th birthday today.... See the streaks of grey at my temples? They seemed to magically appear in the last 6 months! I am rather entertained by them, since they're a little 'Bride of Frankenstein'....




Two years ago, Fromage gave me this beautiful Dendrobium for my birthday----which is blooming again exactly 2 years later! The buds have been waiting to open, just today, just for me.


Fromage's gift this year is Frog Woman. We saw this soapstone carving at a gallery awhile back and I LOVED it. When Fromage gave it to me, I sat down on the couch and closed my eyes. He put the package in my lap and it felt like a bowling ball...heavy! I knew exactly what it was!
The more I gaze at her, the more detail I find. I'll have to get ahold of the gallery owner and get her provenance....I'm sure she has an interesting history. I looked at her for a good 10 minutes before realizing there was a faint dot pattern on her forehead suggesting a tattoo or tribal marking. Also, her cleft chin is actually a vagina!!! (How cool is that!)
She is fabulous and I love my Frog Woman.
Already, it's a good birthday.
Tonight, we're off for a sushi dinner party with a few friends. I'm thinking of bringing frog woman to show her off....

I've had the flu for two weeks but I am FINALLY getting over it. Nasty stuff.
Also today? I am sending off my application for MFA studies. Yes. I. Am.
Too long talking/thinking/procrastinating over it. Time to just do it.






4 comments:

johnny said...

OOPS!!! Forgot to write all my February birthdays in yet....Thank god I caught this just in time...HAPPY B-DAY!!! WELCOME TO THE 37 CLUB! (Any number with the magic 7 in it is okay by me...) And yer orchid....I really like green flowers...there's something mysterious...or mystic about them....Luv FROGG LADY too...very Jack Flanders....I was just looking at the catalogue you sent me yesterday..when I get some extra cash, one of the things I wanna do is get all my fav JACKS on cd (MORROCCO...4TH TOWER..)...Maybe if you rubb her (heh) little FRIDa will appear....
BY-THE-WAY...the gray streaks...very you..You look like the super hero chic...What's her name....Just in time to reveal yer powers to us on magic 37! Hope you have many many more....By the way again: I'll take this moment to pass on an idea that's been stewing for a few days..WE NEED TO DO SOME SORT OF COLLABORATIVE SERIES....start brain-storming....

HAPPY HAPPY DAY....

(p.s.: don't let my letter scare you..I getting better...)

The BOY's Mom said...

Happy 37, Elizabeth!! If your 37 is anything like mine was (is), then it will be the year of many changes. And that's good, right?

Miss you,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday E. Love the frog. The grey is great. I always wanted streaks like that. Mine is going a bit gray, just a bit of salt. Are you on Facebook? I just started with it, lots o'Cornish folk out there. Look me up on it, it's been fun. I want to ask my FB group if they wanted to do mail art letters, much like we once sent back and forth so long ago. S

Sheree Rensel said...

Eero,
You are so beautiful! I never saw a close up picture of you. Gee, I wish I could look like that at any age! 37 is still so young. It gets better and better. It really does. (Grey hairs and all) Happy Birthday Sweetie Pixels!