Saturday, March 07, 2009

Beautiful Art

This painting is in a bus shelter across the road from the public library. I see it every time I drive out of the library lot and wonder at it. It's mysterious and beautiful, naive, magical.....I just love this painting. Artist? Unknown.....

These days, I am trying to accept good things as they come. I am pretty wrecked over Oblio's death....more about that in another post, perhaps.....so I am making an effort to realize when good things are right in front of me and acknowledge them. When I left the library yesterday, here this was, where it always was. I'd never gotten out of the car and examined it too closely. It was snowing and the wind was whipping around, but I slogged through the drifts in front of the bus shelter to record this beauty, at long last.

Too many things are slipping away these days. I have to try to catch them, if I can.



Here is a close up of the Lady. I didn't realize she had a little flower until I had taken the photo. Someone drew her face with ballpoint.....but they did an amazing job, don't you think? And just marvel at the shape of her head....


Her two companions in the photo---the elk (?) headed man and dog. And Elkman is holding a plant? Something growing out of the ground? Notice he has shorts on, too. Clever.

Notice in the first picture that there is a winter/summer division between these characters, the demarcation point being the tree. (Tree of Life?) I can only see these characters as archetypes of some kind.....


What do you think?



(Johnny, I already know you love it...but tell me anyway.)

2 comments:

patcaribou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patcaribou said...

strange...very frida kahlo-esque...maybe, being that its across from the library, its based on the characters in a children's book? but very symbolic indeed.