Saturday, April 04, 2009

In the Green

Back to work at the greenhouse: my 7th year??



I feel pretty fortunate to have a job where I get to be around plants and soil all day. It's April, the landscape here is still covered in snow despite the sunny days. It was only +6 at my house this morning. In the greenhouse, it's +70, I wear summer clothes and get to dig around in the dirt. All good.

Work creates a good schedule for me. Suddenly, my free time is very, very precious! Any and all free time this month is spent in the studio working on paintings for my next show, "Search and Secret" at the Alaska House Gallery opening on May 1st. Just a few weeks away! I'm making quite a few small paintings, 12"x12" and 12"x18" for this exhibit. The gallery is small and, well, bigger paintings take a lot longer to complete. So....

These paintings are all oriented around very carefully drawn plant images. I took a botanical illustration class last year and realized that much of my art had already been heading in that direction. This series of work is exploring ideas of incremental change: small movements making up larger transitions. I am fascinated by how smaller parts make a whole, whether physical, emotional, events, personalities....

Most of the paintings have gold leaf and all of them feature repetitive images: nails, seedheads, branches, roots, etc. One painting I did last week rocks my world. I was surprised by this when I finished it----a pretty good idea turned into a rockin' little painting! Let's just hope for more of those in the next 3 weeks!

I have uninterupted time to concentrate on art this weekend. Oblio died two months ago now, and my husband has moved out temporarily.... so my little family of three is just down to me. Me and the paintings and the orchids. Funny (or honestly, NOT so funny) that the orchids and art don't give much back these days. It's interesting times. So many things are changing that it's hard to know where to put my emotional energy. For instance, my step-Dad died just a couple of weeks ago and my parents got back together....after being divorced since 1979! Talk about strange....

Did I forget to mention that I got accepted to graduate school? I start this July in a low-residency program in Vermont----I just bought my surrealistically expensive plane ticket today. Holy moly. (Thank goodness it'll be tax deductible at some point.) Anyway, yeah----graduate school. I've been thinking about getting my Masters of Fine Arts for about.....8 years now. Seriously! I remember thinking about it when we lived at our first rental cabin in 2000/2001. Scary how long it takes me to make a decision, sometimes. I sent off my application for this school on my birthday this year, Feb. 6th. Since I sent my last student loan payment off on that exact day two years ago, I figured it was a good benchmark.

Life is taking a lot of new directions right now. I just have to try and keep up.

7 comments:

Leanne Pizio said...

Oh Wow! So much here! Congratulations on your acceptance to Graduate School!
I can't wait to see what this brings for you in the future.

I am so sorry about Oblio. I understand how devastating this must be for you. I am still after 2 years morning the loss of my Sass(calico kitten).
I am super intrigued by your description of the new paintings. Can't wait to see them.
Post pics soon!

Martha Marshall said...

So many changes, but so wonderful that you have grad school coming up! I wish you the best.

Good luck with the upcoming show too.

ginny said...

Speaking of 'in the green' oh wise green thumb... I have a question about Orchids... I really wanted to start growing some and I found some at Fred Meyer for like $34 and then some that look like the flowers have kicked it, for $10. Do they come back year after year, and is it worth it to spend $34?? Do you have to have an elaborate flower set up? My house is warm, but not very hot or humid... suggestions?

joe shlichta said...

What a series of events! I am amazed about your parents... and jerry. Sorry to hear about that... and grad school? Your life has taken quite some turns all of a sudden. And i love your new stuff with the botanical images, by the way.

bugheart said...

what what what?!
i am so out of it.
i can't believe...
grad school...
vermont...
oblio...
frommage?
must write soon.
i am sorry
i have been
so out of touch!
g.

johnny said...

I feel so self-involved sometimes...I have several half written epistles to you...but being the ALL-OR-NOTHING kind (a habit I am trying to break...), I have been trying to finish it and send it to you rather than write something here...
And THEN I look and discover all this craziness!!! Sorry about Jerry...And very surreal about yer parents (tell Judy I say hi...)...AND VERMONT!!! We get to be nieghbors so soon...I hadn't dreamed of seeing you anywhere near this summer...I am really excited!!
Hope you and Henry are okay...
I've been working on aN OBLIO-related late b-DAY gift, so I hope I haven't seemed unconcerned over yer loss of the "little" guy...
Anyways, Hope all is well...Congrats on the show..and I will sit down tomorrow and finished that letter....DAMMIT!!

Eason said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,肉毒桿菌,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,紋身,刺青,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔