Friday, November 06, 2009

Anatomy of an Artwork

Here is a sequence showing the development of my drawing from
November 5th.

"Into the Horse Wars"
20"x16"
Oil paint bar

The initial sketch in charcoal.



Filling in major areas---focusing on the body armor/breastplate and horse heads.



The faces appear.....




Mixing tones more, and the bowl appears...



The composition is completed and all areas of the image have been attended to. Now for the final adjustments....



Just a bit of deepening of blacks and it's finished.




This drawing came out fast and furious. It's the most compositionally complex piece I've done this month. Today, another oil stick drawing on a similar horse theme titled, "Ride It Through." My task for each day is to find a good idea, most often accompanied by a provocative title, and then jump right into it without a lot of analysis or planning. It's working well, as I have 11 finished pieces as of today.

Tomorrow---a new task. This afternoon I bought a BIG piece of heavy watercolor paper for the next artwork: 30"x40". This is still to be completed in one day! I have a juicy idea in mind, but of course, this could change easily in the morning....

I'll keep you posted....






2 comments:

Leanne Pizio said...

Wow Eero!
It is wonderful to see these works come so fast and furiously. Divine are those moments when you hand almost causes a breeze of it's own.
This piece is wonderful. I love the strength of the horses and the ghostliness of the image.

Leslie said...

i like it. intense.