Thursday, March 11, 2010

March Madness?

All I am doing these days is Art and running at the gym. No, really....it's ALL I'm doing. Here are a few glimpses of my current work---spanning just about every material I have in the studio, I think! Above: recycled painting sewn together, acrylic ink, embroidery thread and beads.



Recycled painting on paper, ink and seed beads. I love this one. Fromage was the first to point out that it has an uncanny resemblance to a bat wing.... It's got a good marriage of Creepy+Funny which is something I always love!




Slice of an oilbar drawing I titled, "Solstice." Lots of deep blues. The 'speaking circle' from a previous series of drawings/paintings made it's way into this one... Very sneaky...




I've also been painting several greenfired plates for the Bunnell Street Art Center's annual Plate Project. It's a fundraiser; I get nothing out of it but satisfaction in a job well done...and the thrill of glaze painting! I love making these things...




Machine parts have made their way into my drawings. I could do endless variations on the convoluted shapes of engines...sexy stuff, lemme tell 'ya. There are a few women's body parts floating in there, too. What does it all mean? I couldn't tell you.



Suffice to say, it's been a good couple of months in the studio, winter notwithstanding. Having a running schedule at the gym has more than helped keep my brain full of oxygen---the hard exercise is making it so much easier to concentrate on projects in the studio. Do you have a similar method for staying sane?

No comments: